If you wish to contact me

Email cleftlifeline@gmail.com

Pages

Feeding a Child With a Cleft

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Everyone told me that breast feeding a child with a cleft was next to impossible. Pumping was a option, but with everything you have to go through with figuring out how to even feed your baby and wondering if they're getting enough food, pumping became very overwhelming. But me being very stubborn, I tried and I tried to breast feed my baby. I got her to latch maybe once for 3 seconds. And for me not being able to breast feed my own child broke my heart. I felt like I would not be able to connect as well with her if i didn't breast feed. But women all over the world bottle feed and everything turns out just fine. In the end it was more important to me that my child was well fed and happy.
So I know of three different kind of bottles out there for cleft children. Pigeon nipple with one way valve, Mead Johnson bottle, and Haberman Feeder. For me personally I liked the Pigeon bottles the best. But when it comes to picked a bottle it all depends on what works for your baby. I wouldn't worry too much about buying a lot of bottles before your baby gets here because you never know what ones she takes too the best.
Mead Johnson bottle -Oldest bottle made for cleft babies. A squeeze bottle in which you place the nipple in the babes mouth and squeeze milk into mouth till you get the rhythm of breath, squeeze, swallow
Pigeon Bottle - The nipple is almost two sided. On the top it is made of a harder material. It is to be placed at the roof of the mouth covering the palate. And on bottom is a soft material so when touched lightly milk come flowing out and into the mouth. The nipple comes with a small valve which is places at the base of the nipple. The function is to be able to hold milk in the nipple the whole time making it easier to access milk so the baby does not get frustrated with not being able to suck. 
Haberman Feeder- Also a squeeze bottle but is made to form around the cleft better. You are able to control how much milk flow goes into your babies mouth by aligning the indicated marks with your fingers. Also made with a valve so milk staying in the nipple for easier sucking access for baby. 
    Most hospitals will give you one bottle of either the mead Johnson bottle or the pigeon but most likely not the Haberman because it is the most expensive of the three. All bottles can be found on Amazon but beware, they are hard to find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS